08 Nov How to Search for Commercial Restaurant Equipment in Downers Grove
When opening a restaurant, once the layout of the kitchen and workflow has been finalized, you’ll need some industrial-grade equipment that can meet the demands of your restaurant.
If you have the funds to purchase new kitchen equipment, it’s important to keep in mind that most equipment begins to depreciate as soon as it leaves the store. Therefore, a good strategy to save money during the initial set-up stage is to opt for purchasing used restaurant equipment.
In this post, we’ll cover 3 basic steps you can take before purchasing used restaurant equipment in Downers Grove:
1. Do Your Research
Before purchasing any restaurant equipment, you’ll first want to dive in and do some research about the type of equipment you’ll need. The type you need generally depends on the food you’ll be serving, and the space requirements of your kitchen.
First, involve the chef. An experienced chef will know the kind of space that the kitchen team needs to be efficient. Moreover, the chef will also be able to offer input on the specifications of certain equipment that is essential to the kitchen.
Second, set the menu that your restaurant offers. This will dictate a workflow, and also determine which equipment is used where and for how long. These details can help you plan where you can place the oven, prep stations, etc.
Lastly, brainstorm what can be eliminated from the kitchen purchase list. Is the purchase of a separate immersion blender necessary? Can that task be handled by hand whisking in a bowl?
Doing this basic research with the chef, plus an overall understanding of the menu, will help in zeroing in on exactly which equipment you’ll need to buy for your kitchen.
2. Make a List
Depending on the menu that your restaurant offers, seating capacity, and the concept of your restaurant, here are some key pieces of equipment that a commercial kitchen like yours may require:
- Deep fryer
- Pots and pans
- Ladles and spatulas
- Set of knives
- Mixing bowls
- Serving plates
- Fire extinguisher
3. Factors to Be Considered for the Floor Plan
After you’ve prepared the list of equipment needed for the commercial kitchen, the floor plan is important to determine the size and capacity of equipment that can be fitted within the space constraints. Some of the factors to consider include:
- Flexibility and space efficiency: This can be achieved by designing a modular kitchen, where equipment is placed on wheels that can be moved to create more space when needed.
- Workflow: Restaurant kitchens can easily become crowded, messy, and chaotic. It is important to design the kitchen while keeping the workflow in mind.
- Air ventilation: It’s important to consider air ventilation and ensure that vents and ducts are installed or present above ranges and ovens.
- Maintenance: Always plan to keep larger equipment on wheels so that it can be moved if needed. Not having it movable could be a fatal mistake, as there needs to be space for a repairman to access and repair the damage quickly.
Are You Looking for Used Restaurant Equipment in Downers Grove, Illinois?
If you’re on the lookout for any used restaurant equipment, and if you need it in Downers Grove, we here at March Quality are the people to see.
For over 30 years, March Quality New and Pre-Owned Foodservice Equipment has been providing a place for current businesses to sell equipment, while also providing a secondary market for those entering the industry.
We buy used restaurant equipment and refurbish it until it’s like new, then sell it for a fraction of the price of new equipment.
Contact us today to discuss your needs!